Having a thick, green lawn and healthy trees is not as simple as regularly watering your yard, or occasionally applying fertilizer. There are several recommended lawn care practices that can help ensure the health of your lawn and trees, although some are best left to lawn and tree care professionals. One of these is soil aeration, which is highly beneficial to your lawn and tree health, and is performed by the lawn and tree care experts at Embark Services.
If you’re unfamiliar with soil aeration and its benefits to your lawn and trees, lawn soil aeration is defined as the removal of small plugs of soil, which are then backfilled with highly enriched compost or peat moss, enhancing the health of your lawn’s soil. Soil aeration is done to correct lawn soil compaction, which reduces the ability of water, oxygen and other key nutrients to penetrate plant and tree root systems, and also limits the ability of root systems to expand and strengthen. Vertical mulching involves vertically boring into the soil around your tree’s canopy and drilling several two-inch-wide holes and backfilling these holes with a peat moss and shale material.
Soil aeration has several important benefits to promote tree health and lawn preservation over time and through all seasons. Benefits of soil aeration include:
- Increased water and nutrient absorption in your grass and soil surrounding your tree roots, by soil aeration and vertical mulching
- Improved plant and tree root health and stability through the development and penetration of roots in the soil
- Increased activity of beneficial soil microorganisms that promote tree health
- Prevention of pesticide and fertilizer runoff from compacted soil areas
- Prevents buildup of toxins and other harmful elements in soil and root system
- Protects from the development of plant and tree diseases caused by poor aeration
Because soil aeration involves the use of heavy and large machinery, it is safest to hire the landscape professionals at Embark Services to perform this for you. Their lawn and tree care experts can safely and efficiently aerate your soil and help ensure years of enjoyment from your lawn and trees. Request a visit today from their Landscape Professionals or contact Embark Services for more information.