Fall is here which means the holidays are fast approaching. This is the time of year that we welcome more friends and family to our home than at other times of the year. As you make preparation in your home to get ready, don’t forget to spruce up your tree, shrubs, flowers, and beds to make your home look its best for the holidays. Here are a few easy ways to get your landscaping ready for the season:
- Pruning and weeding is a great place to start for a fall cleanup. Creating a clean slate before adding new plant material will make everything looker fresher for the season. Even the most beautifully planted bed can look unkept if weeds are present.
- Clean up your front walkway by power washing the concrete, removing any weeds, top dressing with crushed granite, and securing or replacing any stepping stones. All your guests will use this path as you welcome them to your home, so make sure it looks good.
- Add pops of color to your entrance with new planters. Planters are a great way to add landscape to focal points, like your front entrance. You can use a mixture of annual and perennial plants so these planters can be used year-round. Planters also come in a variety of shapes and sizes, so you can select colors that add to the holiday style of your home.
- Trim and fertilize those trees. Fall is a great time to trim your trees and it can change the whole look of a property if your trees are currently overgrown. It is like a fresh haircut for your home. Fall fertilization is also important during this time of year. In addition to helping your trees recover from the heat and drought stress of summer, fertilization prepares them for the cold temperatures to come.
- If you don’t want to or need to add new plants or shrubs to your landscape beds, a fresh layer of mulch will have everything looking like it is brand new. In addition to adding valuable nutrients to the soil, mulch protects from new weeds and adds a barrier against extreme temperatures for the roots.
- The holidays and lighting go hand in hand but consider adding more than just Christmas lights to your home for an elegant addition to your landscaping that you will enjoy year-round. Low-voltage landscaping lighting is a perfect way to illuminate walkways, showcase trees, and light up your home.
- The most important factor in any good-looking landscape is regular maintenance so while you are considering ways to spruce up your home for the holidays, don’t forget regular landscape mowing, weeding, trimming, and edging. These tasks ensure that everything you add to your yard will look well cared for at all times.
The holiday season is a magical time of year. Getting a head start on a fall cleanup for your yard and trees will have your home looking its best through all the festivities. Embark Services is here to help with a free tree evaluation to determine the best plan for tree trimming, tree fertilization, or tree removal necessary. Before you light up those trees this year, make sure they are in the best shape possible. One of our ISA-certified arborists would be happy to review your property with you and create a plan to best care for your trees. Remember, trees add value to your home year-round. Give them what they need to thrive.